Social amelioration program for ‘poorest of the poor’ only

first_imgILOILO City – The national government’s P6,000 SocialAmelioration Package (SAP) in this time of public health emergency due to thecoronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic is only for the “poorest of thepoor”, clarified Department of Interior and Local Government’s (DILG)Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya.  * micro-entrepreneurs They are the low income families, those in the informalsector and those living below the poverty threshold, said Malaya. In a teleconference with the Western Visayas media on April7, Malaya said DILG and the Department of Social Welfare and Development Office(DSWD) were making this clarification to avoid confusion, citing feedbacks fromlocal government units (LGUs). Who are the “poorest of the poor”? * informal workers The minimum daily wage in Region 6 is P395. * overseas Filipino worker in distress In Region 6, she said, if a person such as the head of thefamily receives a daily wage of P390, his family is qualified to receive theP6,000 SAP. * farmers, fishermen (provided they are Beneficiaries of the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program(4Ps) are covered by the SAP, Malaya added, but they need not fill upregistration forms because they were already in the DSWD database. * lactating mothers not recipients of assistance from the Department ofAgriculture * senior citizens * sub-minimum wage earners * pregnant women DSWD previously identified these vulnerable sectors: * solo parent The first batch to receive the SAP in Region 6 covers311,687 households.center_img * indigent “Bawat tao ay mahalaga but we need to prioritize,” stressedMalaya. “Hindi po pwede ang To avoid duplication of beneficiaries, there will becross-matching, added Malaya. For his part, DSWD spokesperson Director Irene Dumlao saidpersons living below the poverty line are those working but receivingcompensation below the minimum wage. The remaining more or less 1.5 million target beneficiaries in the region would receive theirs before the end of the quarantine period (April 14 unless lifted earlier or extended)./PN “Inuulit po natin: ang benepisaryo ng cash grant po ay ‘yungmga pamilya na kasama or * occasional workers like househelpers, argumento na ‘kami ay taxpayers, kailangan tumulong anggobyerno, mahirap man o mayaman’. Hindi po ganun ang buhay.” and Employment) kabilang sa low income, may family members na kabilang sa informaleconomy sector and may * workers in the private sector observing “no work, no pay”family (provided they have not availed themselves of  the COVID-19 Adjustment Measures Program ofthe Department of Labor drivers of pedicabs, tricycles, taxis, public utility buses, and public Malaya urged LGUs to start distributing registration formsto target beneficiaries so these could immediately be submitted to the DSWD forthe eventual release of the social amelioration. * persons with disability * homeless member po na kabilang vulnerable sectors,” said Dumlao. utility jeepneyslast_img read more

Weekend is a “Bust” for 17 Local Men Accused of Selling Drugs

first_imgThe weekend began as a bust for 17 men accused of being part of a drug dealing scheme.Officers with the Boynton Beach Police arrested the men on Friday, as part of “Operation Firestorm.”According to West Palm Beach television station WPEC, those involved are between 19 and 64 years old.A spokesperson for the Boynton Beach Police Department explains that the men are suspected of selling drugs including fentanyl, heroin, cocaine, and crack to undercover officers and informants.Violent Crimes Task Force investigation nets 17 arrests: “We stand with and in support of our residents, who want to be free of drug dealers and the violence they bring,” @BBPDPoliceChief Michael G. Gregory said. Read more: https://t.co/Z1AXFYgzOo pic.twitter.com/tCrgWjyehv— bbpd (@BBPD) August 21, 2020 The months-long operation has resulted in 125 arrests and the seizure of 34 guns, in addition to various types of drugs.“The community has asked the police department to do more to stop the drug dealing and violence in their neighborhoods,” Police Chief Michael Gregory said in announcing the arrests.He went on to tell the television station, “We will stay focused on the desires of our community members for public safety.”Some of the drug sales took place near churches and schools, Gregory added.last_img read more

Juventus host Milan as Italian season resumes after 3-month suspension due to COVID-19

first_imgMILAN: The Italian season resumes after a three-month suspension due to the COVID-19 pandemic on Friday when Juventus, still chasing a possible league, cup and Champions League treble, host AC Milan in the return leg of their Coppa Italia semi-final.The match, to be played behind closed doors at the Allianz stadium, should have been played on March 4 but was postponed by the Turin city government at 24 hours’ notice as the virus began to spread. The season was suspended altogether one week later. Juventus are favourites to reach next Wednesday’s final after a 1-1 draw in the first leg on February 13 but coach Maurizio Sarri said that his side are venturing into the unknown after such a long layoff. “None of the staff at this moment knows where the preparation is because we come off an abnormal interruption,” he said, adding that the stoppage was completely different to the usual close season. “This is a unique situation, which does not give us any certainty, also because we have obviously not played friendlies. I am satisfied with what I have seen during these days in training, but the response during a game will be different.” Sarri feared that the risk of injury would be “very high” as the players would have lost muscular strength while their motivation was also an unknown. “Each player has experienced this period in a different way. Now the point will be to understand what motivations everyone has within themselves,” he said. For AC Milan, the past three months have been a turbulent time with incessant speculation that the club wants to dismiss coach Stefano Pioli at the end of the season and replace him with German Ralf Rangnick. The team will also be missing 38-year-old forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic with a calf injury he suffered in training last month. The Swede has revitalised the team since signing for six months in January. Gazzetta dello Sport and other media said there was a tense meeting between chief executive Ivan Gazidis and the players on Wednesday to discuss a wage reduction related to the stoppage. Ibrahimovic was among those who complained that meeting should have been held much earlier and reportedly told Gazidis: “It’s not the Milan it used to be, there’s too much uncertainty.” Agencies Also watch: Morning Bulletin | 12th June, 2020last_img read more