Simone Gbagbo’s ex-bodyguard appeals murder sentence

first_imgThe former bodyguard of ex-Ivorian president Laurent Gbagbo’s wife has appealed a 20-year prison sentence for murder, his lawyer said on Monday.Anselme Seka Yapo was this month convicted by an Ivory Coast military court for a murder committed during post-election violence in 2010-2011. He was in charge of ex-first-lady Simone Gbagbo’s security and was arrested in October 2011.“We have lodged an appeal against the decision,” his lawyer, Mathurin Dirabou, told AFP.Dirabou said the witness testimony was questionable and that medical evidence “revealed nothing”.Gbagbo himself is now awaiting trial in The Hague, and is the first former head of state to be prosecuted by the International Criminal Court, the world’s only permanent war crimes tribunal.His refusal to concede defeat after presidential polls in 2010 sparked a bloody stand-off in the world’s largest cocoa grower in which some 3 000 people died according to the United Nations.He was eventually toppled in April 2011 by current President Alassane Ouattara’s forces backed by the UN and France.Gbagbo was transferred to the ICC’s detention unit in The Hague in November 2011 but Simone Gbagbo, the former first lady, was thrown in jail at home.Since then, the Ivorian government has repeatedly refused to hand Simone Gbagbo, dubbed the nation’s “Iron Lady”, over to the ICC, where she too is wanted for crimes against humanity.–AFPRelated ICC upholds decision to try Côte d’Ivoire’s Simone Gbagbo South Africa to appeal Oscar Pistorius’ murder sentence againcenter_img Ivory Coast leader announces amnesty for Simone Gbagbolast_img read more

David Ortiz shooting: Alleged triggerman indicted on drug charges in New Jersey

first_img David Ortiz shooting brings well-wishes, support from players The charges came the day after the lead prosecutor in the shooting case in the Dominican Republic announced that Ortiz was not the intended target of the shooting.Cruz, one of 10 people arrested in the June 9 shooting of Ortiz in a Santo Domingo bar, has admitted to being the person who shot Ortiz, Dominican police said. He remains in custody in the Dominican Republic, the U.S. Attorney’s statement said. Related News Red Sox legend David Ortiz is sitting up, taking steps after being shot The man authorities in the Dominican Republic say admitted to shooting former Red Sox star David Ortiz was indicted Thursday in New Jersey on federal drug conspiracy charges.Rolfi Ferreira Cruz, 25, of Paterson, New Jersey, was charged with multiple crimes, including conspiring to distribute and possess with the intent to distribute 100 grams or more of heroin and an amount of cocaine, and possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime, U.S. Attorney Craig Carpenito said in a statement Thursday.center_img If convicted of the U.S. drug charges, Cruz will face a mandatory minimum penalty of five years in federal prison and a maximum of 40 years in prison for two of the charges. The third charge has a mandatory minimum penalty of five years in prison.In the Dominican Republic, lead prosecutor Jean Alain Rodriguez told reporters at a press conference Wednesday the intended target was one of Ortiz’s friends, not the Red Sox great.NEW: Former Red Sox star David Ortiz was not the intended target of a shooting that left him seriously wounded, officials in the Dominican Republic said Wednesday.At least 11 suspects have been [email protected] reports pic.twitter.com/cqokbgqn9Q— CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) June 19, 2019“The target of this assassination attempt was not David Ortiz,” Rodriguez said. “The target was a friend of David Ortiz’s, who was on the same table.”“The target of this assassination attempt was NOT David Ortiz. The target was a friend of David Ortiz’s, who was on the same table. The target was Sixto David Fernandez.” –Jean Alain Rodriguez pic.twitter.com/gn2HCSnxf5— Marly Rivera (@MarlyRiveraESPN) June 19, 2019Ortiz, 43, was at a Santo Domingo bar the night of June 9 when a suspect shot him at close range. Thus far, 11 people have been taken into custody in connection with the shooting. The retired Red Sox star had been listed in “guarded” condition but was upgraded to “good” condition earlier this week. He underwent surgery in the Dominican Republic following the shooting, and doctors removed his gallbladder and part of his intestines. He was then transported to Boston.”(Ortiz) continues to make progress with his recovery in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital,” Ortiz’s wife, Tiffany, said in a statement released by the Red Sox on Tuesday. “We remain grateful to everyone who has helped David through this ordeal, both in the Dominican Republic and here in Boston. David’s journey to good health has been bolstered by the many expressions of love that have come to us from across the globe. Your support has lifted his spirits tremendously during this challenging time.” Ortiz was a 10-time All-Star who led the Red Sox to three World Series titles.last_img read more

DELIA – “MCGUINNESS IS HUGE PART OF MY MANAGEMENT STAFF”

first_imgJim McGuinness is a ‘massive’ part of Ronnie Delia’s backroom staff.Celtic manager Ronnie Delia has admitted Jim McGuinness is a massive part of his management staff, as he strives to take Celtic to the next level.Norwegian, Delia has received widespread criticism from sections of the Celtic support following a mixed start to life as Celtic manager.One member of his back-room staff that Delia leans on for support is former Donegal manager Jim McGuinness, Delia has admitted that he is a ‘massive’ part of his management set-up. Delia said, “I want a team with different qualities, Jim’s very good with team spirit and psychology.“He knows what team work is, and knows sport, and understands the importance of a good team dynamic.“He knows the importance of a good dressing room, he has skills we can use.“Those skills are vital in ensuring my players are focused and ready for every game and every challenge. McGuinness quit as Donegal manager a fortnight after losing the All-Ireland to Kerry.He spent four incredible years in charge of Donegal, and is the county’s most successful manager ever.His successor has still not been appointed, but it’s expected that his former assistant Rory Gallagher will get the job. DELIA – “MCGUINNESS IS HUGE PART OF MY MANAGEMENT STAFF” was last modified: October 28th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:celtic fcdonegalGAAJim McGuinnessnewsRonnie DeliasoccerSportlast_img read more