Latin American security forces crack down on smuggling of alcohol and cigarettes

first_imgBy Dialogo September 30, 2014 Cocaine, heroin, and other illicit substances are high-priority targets in the fight against drug trafficking in Latin America, but regional security forces are also combatting attempts to smuggle alcohol and cigarettes. Both are legal, but criminal organizations are trying to secretly transport them into the country to avoid paying taxes. Drug trafficking groups like Los Rastrojos and the Clan Úsuga have taken up the practice as well, using buses, trucks, private cars and even boats. It’s become big business in Colombia, Ecuador, Perú, Honduras, El Salvador and Panamá. In these countries, one out of every four bottles of liquor is illegally produced or sold. Their sales, along with contraband cigarettes, total more than $2.3 billion (USD), with tax losses of about $736 million (USD). Those losses, which would normally fund the government, go to fund criminal enterprises instead “This is an illegal business that’s part of a larger economic criminal system,” POLFA director Brig. Gen. Gustavo Moreno said. Large seizures in Colombia That system extends beyond the borders of Latin America. Criminal groups are smuggling alcohol and cigarettes from countries as far away as Switzerland, Scotland, and the Czech Republic. Often their contraband ends up in Colombia – or along the Pacific Coast, arriving at the Port of Buenaventura in the department of Nariño, near the border with Ecuador. Colombian security forces are responding with increased enforcement efforts. As of late September, they’ve seized 202,408 liters of liquor nationwide, worth more $2 million (USD). Just last month, Fiscal and Customs Police (POLFA) seized 2,440 liters of liquor, 18,160 packs of cigarettes and 239 bottles of foreign beer. Their agents, stationed at a series of checkpoints in the department of Guajira, found the alcohol and cigarettes hidden inside vehicles. POLFA has also in recent months seized alcohol and cigarettes smuggled into Colombia by boat from Panamá, Curacao and Aruba. A big businesscenter_img International cooperation is a key component in the fight against alcohol and tobacco smuggling – because both are international problems. For example, the smuggling of liquor increased more than 167 percent in Ecuador in 2012. In Colombia and Panamá, liquor smuggling increased by 26 percent and 29 percent, respectively. POLFA has labored to increase information sharing among Latin American countries, for instance with security forces in Ecuador and Perú. It has compiled about 75 databases that include information about shipping firms and trading companies which have been sanctioned for helping transport contraband alcohol and cigarettes. Eventually, their goal is to create a list that allows labor unions to identify such firms. They’ve also helped organize three joint workshops with agents from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). “The issue of smuggling is still not widely recognized within the police forces of Latin America,” Moreno said. “But it’s very important to position the problem of smuggling as a phenomenon with concrete repercussions, as a reality that is now here, that is an underlying issue and that will not go away.” It is a common good for society not to take any drugs. Healthy people and their healthy habitat what they need to do is close the companies that prepare the illegal products such as alcohol and cigarettes Drugs, cigarettes and alcohol are elements that are regulated within the crimes against health, the three are legal, only the first which is through medical prescription. What’s strange about this article is that it talks about defrauding the economy of the countries, then if taxes were paid it would be OK, it would be legal it DOESN’T MATTER THAT IT HURTS PEOPLE’S HEALTH, we have to take into account that in the majority of Latin countries and El Salvador, most of the budget goes to the armed forces, which does NO GOOD to the country, Salvadoran territory is being invaded by the Hondurans and it’s the armed forces, who should protect it, but no, now it’s the lawyers, if this is so they should be eliminated, with the army of the United States is in the region, what are these armies for ?Or is it a business proposition, to buy old weapons, let’s keep them armed and all is well, that money is poorly invested. It should be given to health, education, agriculture, invest to create jobs, since that component reduces drug, alcohol and cigarette use.last_img read more

Yobo Tips Omeruo to Step into His Shoes

first_imgFormer Super Eagles Captain, Joseph Yobo Wednesday tipped in-form CD Leganes FC player, Kenneth Omeruo, to step into his shoes as a regular centre-back.The retired footballer made the assertion in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) at his unveiling as brand ambassador of the inaugural Trophy five-a-side “Join the Field of Honour” competition.Yobo was capped 101 for Nigeria. He played in three FIFA World Cups and Six Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) for the Super Eagles after making his debut against Zambia in 2002. Kenneth Omeruo .(right) has been in superb form since joining Leganes in the Spanish La Liga jpg Yobo captained the senior national team in 2010 after the retirement of Nwankwo Kanu and went on to win the AFCON as a captain in 2013 with a 1-0 win over Burkina Faso in South Africa.The 38-year-old also scored seven goals during his international career after his first goal against Madagascar in the 2012 AFCON qualifiers on Sept. 4.Looking back at his successful years in the Nigeria’s green white green jersey and a possible successor to the shoes he left behind, Yobo said that Omeruo was capable of taking over from him.“I am happy for Omeruo because he played along with me. I am happy that he is fulfilling his potential because he is a good defender.“Omeruo is someone I have hoped to take over from me and I am happy that he is in Spain and doing fantastically well.“I am also happy other defenders such as Leon Balogun and other players are performing as well. It is always good that we have our defenders fit and at the moment doing well.“Super Eagles as a team is presently doing well now and only need the support of all Nigerians to do better at the AFCON 2019,” stressed the former Nigerian captain.Yobo cut his teeth at Standard Liege of Belgium before moving to Everton FC. He left Everton to join Norwich FC before leaving England for Turkey to star for Fenerbache FC.He asked handlers of the senior national team to give fringe players the chance to show what they have to offer now that pressure is not on Super Eagles in the dead-rubber last qualifying game with Seychelles.“The Super Eagles have now qualified for AFCON, so the game against Seychelles is not so important. It is important to give the upcoming and fringe players a chance.“The Super Eagles can as well win the AFCON. It is possible because I was fascinated about the way they qualified for the tournament with a game in hand.“We should note that qualifiers are always tough for Nigeria but it happened because the team build on the success from the World Cup.“The future is bright for the team and I believe in them. In football you go into the tournament with the mind of winning but the team should take it one game after other,” Yobo concluded.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

DHD4 confirms first case of coronavirus in Presque Isle County

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisALPENA, Mich. — District Health Department Number Four is now reporting the first case of coronavirus in Presque Isle County.The Health Department has quickly begun working with the adult female patient. She is now in isolation and recovering in an undisclosed residence. Medical Director for DHD4, Josh Meyerson, says they are hoping the patient has a full recovery. He also says the area is experiencing evidence of community spread, and adhering to prevention strategies is more important than ever.Meyerson reminds everyone to clean their hands often, avoid contact with others, stay home when you’re sick, cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, and disinfect frequently used surfaces.The Department is advising everyone who has symptoms to act as if they do have the disease, even if they are not diagnosed. Also if you are venturing out to pick up critical supplies, please limit trips to one person in the household.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: coronavirus, DHD4, district health department #4, presque isleContinue ReadingPrevious Healthcare coverage available to unemployed or underemployed MichigandersNext State health department reports nearly 19,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19last_img read more

ARLENE SUSPECT LAUNCHES LEGAL CHALLENGE TO HER INQUEST

first_imgA convicted child killer and rapist has launched a legal challenge to the holding of an inquest into the death of Arlene Arkinson.Robert Howard was acquitted of murdering the teenager, from Castlederg, County Tyrone who was last seen in Bundoran.He is seeking a judicial review of the senior coroner’s decision to examine events surrounding Arlene’s disappearance. The teenager was 15 when she went missing in 1994.Arlene is believed to have been murdered. Robert Howard was acquitted at trial of her murder in 2005.The family want an inquest to be held to examine how the RUC conducted its investigation into her disappearance and the acquittal of Howard for her murder.A report by the Police Ombudsman in 2008 said police treated her disappearance as a missing person inquiry for too long rather than a potential abduction or murder.It also said they took too long to arrest the main suspect, Robert Howard.Although they had grounds to do this within 48 hours of her disappearance, it did not happen until 46 days after Arlene had first been reported missing.Arlene vanished near her home in Castlederg after attending a disco at Bundoran with friends in August 1994.She was last seen in a car driven by Howard.Howard was questioned and later charged with her murder, but he was found not guilty in court.In October 2003, Howard was found guilty of murdering Hannah Williams, 14, from Deptford, in south London, whose body was found in a cement works in Northfleet, Kent, in March 2002.EndsARLENE SUSPECT LAUNCHES LEGAL CHALLENGE TO HER INQUEST was last modified: June 29th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Arlene ArkinsonbundoranRobert Howardlast_img read more