Syracuse finishes season ranked No. 17 in national poll

first_imgAfter completing the most successful season in school history, the Syracuse men’s soccer team finished No. 17 in the final NSCAA/Continental Tire Top 25 poll, released on Tuesday, Dec. 11.The Orange received 180 points in the voting and entered the Top 25 for the first time in the 2012 season, concluding the season in the national rankings for the third time in school history.Following a 3-12-1 campaign in 2011, the Orange was picked to finish last in the Big East Red Division before the season started. Syracuse embarked on an historic season, though, and finished 14-6-1 – including a 5-3 record in the team’s final year in Big East play.After a 4-2 loss to eventual No. 1 seed Notre Dame in the Big East tournament, Syracuse was on the NCAA tournament bubble. The committee gave SU the nod, as the team earned its first tournament appearance since 1984.The Orange traveled to Ithaca, NY to face Cornell, knocking off the favored Big Red 1-0 on a goal by senior Lars Muller in the 10th minute.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSU then traveled to Richmond, Va. and battled against Virginia Commonwealth. Senior Louis Clark’s dagger in the waning minutes of double overtime propelled the Orange to a thrilling 3-2 victory. The win pushed Syracuse to the Sweet 16 for the first time in school history.The Orange then lost to Georgetown 1-1 (4-2) on a penalty shootout, ending its momentous season.Syracuse was the most improved team in the nation in 2012 (+8.5 win-loss improvement) and finished 2nd in its division.Freshman Jordan Vale led the team in scoring with nine goals. Muller added six, while junior Tony Asante chipped in with five.Jordan Murrell and Nick Bibbs anchored a reliable Syracuse defense that only allowed 17 goals throughout the season.The offense, meanwhile, tallied 39 goals, averaging close to two per game and overpowering opponents.SU loses six seniors – Muller, Clark, Bibbs, Ted Cribley, Mark Brode and Mawuena Agbossoumonde.Freshman standouts Vale, Stefanos Stamoulacatos and goalie Alex Bono all return for a Syracuse team that brings back seven starters. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on December 14, 2012 at 5:58 pm Contact Trevor: [email protected] | @TrevorHasslast_img read more

Lakers’ Thomas Robinson, Metta World Peace to have guaranteed contracts

first_imgLOS ANGELES — As the Lakers aim to develop their young roster, they have decided to retain an emerging young forward and a veteran fan favorite.The Lakers plan to keep reserve forwards Thomas Robinson and Metta World Peace past Tuesday when their one-year deal at the veteran’s minimum becomes guaranteed.Though that will not become official until Tuesday, all NBA teams would have had to make potential cuts to their roster by 2 p.m. PT on Saturday to give those players time to clear waivers. The Lakers can still waive Robinson or World Peace later in the season, though they would owe each player their full salary.Various factors influenced the Lakers’ decision to keep their 15-man roster as is. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error A different takeIt turns out Heat guard Goran Dragic did not just take issue with Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson shoving him in Friday’s game. Dragic admitted he felt “surprised” over the ejection.“The kid was the aggressor,” Dragic told Miami reporters on Saturday.Dragic also disputed Clarkson’s rationale that he simply pushed him initially because Dragic had elbowed him earlier in the stomach. “I didn’t do that,” Dragic told Miami reporters. “If I did that, I would say I did it. I’m an honest guy. The video don’t lie.”Dragic also raised his eyebrows over Clarkson getting into a boxer’s stance once Dragic confronted Clarkson for shoving him to the floor.“I’ve been in plenty of fights,” said Dragic, which also included with former Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic. “I was not scared. I didn’t want to fight. It was just an emotional reaction for me.”center_img The Lakers considered adding a frontcourt player to absorb the absence of reserve forward Larry Nance Jr. who has stayed sidelined the past two weeks with a bone bruise in his left knee. But Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak told Southern California News Group that he would have likely felt more inclined to make a roster change had Nance suffered a season-ending injury. The Lakers expect Nance to return in about two weeks.After the former No. 5 pick in the NBA draft had short stops in Sacramento (2012-13), Houston (2012-13), Portland (2013-15), Philadelphia (2014-15) and Brooklyn (2015-16), Robinson has prolonged his stay with the Lakers with consistent hustle and production. He has averaged 4.1 points on 51.6 percent shooting and 5.0 rebounds in 11.9 minutes off the bench. During the eight games Nance has missed thus far, Robinson has taken advantage of an increased role by posting 6.67 points on 65.9 percent shooting and 8.5 rebounds in 17.88 minutes per contest.World Peace hardly mirrors the production that made the former Ron Artest a Lakers fan favorite during the teams’ 2010 NBA championship run. World Peace has posted career-lows in points (1.1), shooting percentage (22.7 percent) and playing time (5.2 minutes) through 14 appearances.After the Lakers’ win over Miami on Friday, Lakers coach Luke Walton offered a strong endorsement for the 37-year-old World Peace because of his mentorship presence with a young team. Walton also argued World Peace would be more effective offering those qualities as a player than as a member of his coaching staff.“I want the guy around our players,” Walton said. “He’s a professional. I think it’s more beneficial when he’s actually in practice and in the trenches with them. But he’s someone that helps the team being around.”last_img read more