High School Principal, Andy Allen with National Merit Finalist Joey BarrBATESVILLE, Ind. — At Monday evening’s meeting, Batesville School Board approved to create a new position titled the Batesville Community School Corporation Food Service Director.Currently each cafeteria has its own manager but this new position will oversee each cafeteria.The corporation Food Service Director will be one of the four cafeteria managers, that will retain their position with additional duties.The board also approved to re-add Chemistry, Advanced Placement to the courses offered at the High School.The 2018-2019 was approved at Monday evening’s meeting.A change was made starting with the 2017-2018 school calendar; if the school uses all of its built-in make up days, then additional days would be made up as e-learning days at a later date; no additional days will be added on to the end of the school calendar.The school board also recognized Joey Barr for being named a National Merit Finalist.
Statewide—The Indiana State Department of Health has reported that 839 additional Hoosiers have been diagnosed with COVID-19 over the weekend. A total of 39,909 Indiana residents have tested positive for the coronavirus. To date, 348,391 tests have been reported to ISDH at an 11.5% positive rate and 26 new deaths were reported for a total of 2,240 Hoosiers have died to date.Locally Dearborn County has a total of 179 cases and 22 deaths reported. Decatur County has a total of 237 positive cases and 32 deaths, Franklin County has 120 positive cases and 8 deaths, and Ripley County has 109 positive cases and 6 deaths according to numbers reported to the Indiana State Department of Health.
Toby Alderweireld believes Tottenham’s emphatic win over Monaco proves they have the depth of squad to handle the chaotic Christmas period. Press Association Mauricio Pochettino made seven changes for Spurs’ final Europa League group game but his fringe players stepped up as they outplayed Monaco in a 4-1 victory. Erik Lamela grabbed the headlines with a first-half hat-trick but midfielder Tom Carroll capped an assured display with a late goal while 18-year-old Joshua Onomah was particularly lively on his first start for the club. Tottenham host Newcastle on Sunday, looking to close a three-point gap on the Barclays Premier League’s top four, with Southampton, Norwich and Watford all to come before the end of the month. “We need our squad,” Alderweireld said. “We are going to play a lot of games over the Christmas period. If someone gets injured or suspended, we know another guy can take his place. (On Thursday night) they showed they are ready for it. “I think we made it comfortable. We started very well and the guys who are not playing all the time, they wanted to prove something and I think they did (on Thursday night). “It is important for the confidence so we can take this result into Sunday. It is nice to be top of the group. We did our job very well in the Europa League up until now.” Onomah was perhaps the most exciting newcomer on show at White Hart Lane and the attacking midfielder may be given further chances to impress while Mousa Dembele struggles with illness and Nacer Chadli regains sharpness following two months out with injury. Born and raised in Enfield, Onomah is the latest academy graduate to come through at Spurs, but Alderweireld was not surprised by the youngster’s display. “We train with him every day,” Alderweireld said. “He is quite strong, he is quick, he is a good footballer. I think he has a good future. “He did not look to play safe because he is confident. He shows it every day in training. It was a good opportunity for him to show his quality.” Alderweireld joined Tottenham for around £11million in the summer and the 26-year-old has been one of the club’s star performers, forming a strong partnership with fellow Belgian Jan Vertonghen. Only Manchester United have a better defensive record than Spurs in the league so far and Chadli, another of Alderweireld’s compatriots, has hailed his team-mate’s contribution. “Toby is a great guy. I’ve known him now for five years,” Chadli said before Thursday’s win. “He has always been a good defender. He has had a very good start to the season. It has been very positive how he’s played. “He has been helped by the team-mates. Everyone is very good with each other and that has helped the guy settle in. “Toby is quiet but he’s always looking to help his team-mates. Since I’ve known him, he’s always been like this. I think it’s a great signing for us.”
LOS ANGELES — As the Lakers aim to develop their young roster, they have decided to retain an emerging young forward and a veteran fan favorite.The Lakers plan to keep reserve forwards Thomas Robinson and Metta World Peace past Tuesday when their one-year deal at the veteran’s minimum becomes guaranteed.Though that will not become official until Tuesday, all NBA teams would have had to make potential cuts to their roster by 2 p.m. PT on Saturday to give those players time to clear waivers. The Lakers can still waive Robinson or World Peace later in the season, though they would owe each player their full salary.Various factors influenced the Lakers’ decision to keep their 15-man roster as is. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error A different takeIt turns out Heat guard Goran Dragic did not just take issue with Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson shoving him in Friday’s game. Dragic admitted he felt “surprised” over the ejection.“The kid was the aggressor,” Dragic told Miami reporters on Saturday.Dragic also disputed Clarkson’s rationale that he simply pushed him initially because Dragic had elbowed him earlier in the stomach. “I didn’t do that,” Dragic told Miami reporters. “If I did that, I would say I did it. I’m an honest guy. The video don’t lie.”Dragic also raised his eyebrows over Clarkson getting into a boxer’s stance once Dragic confronted Clarkson for shoving him to the floor.“I’ve been in plenty of fights,” said Dragic, which also included with former Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic. “I was not scared. I didn’t want to fight. It was just an emotional reaction for me.” The Lakers considered adding a frontcourt player to absorb the absence of reserve forward Larry Nance Jr. who has stayed sidelined the past two weeks with a bone bruise in his left knee. But Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak told Southern California News Group that he would have likely felt more inclined to make a roster change had Nance suffered a season-ending injury. The Lakers expect Nance to return in about two weeks.After the former No. 5 pick in the NBA draft had short stops in Sacramento (2012-13), Houston (2012-13), Portland (2013-15), Philadelphia (2014-15) and Brooklyn (2015-16), Robinson has prolonged his stay with the Lakers with consistent hustle and production. He has averaged 4.1 points on 51.6 percent shooting and 5.0 rebounds in 11.9 minutes off the bench. During the eight games Nance has missed thus far, Robinson has taken advantage of an increased role by posting 6.67 points on 65.9 percent shooting and 8.5 rebounds in 17.88 minutes per contest.World Peace hardly mirrors the production that made the former Ron Artest a Lakers fan favorite during the teams’ 2010 NBA championship run. World Peace has posted career-lows in points (1.1), shooting percentage (22.7 percent) and playing time (5.2 minutes) through 14 appearances.After the Lakers’ win over Miami on Friday, Lakers coach Luke Walton offered a strong endorsement for the 37-year-old World Peace because of his mentorship presence with a young team. Walton also argued World Peace would be more effective offering those qualities as a player than as a member of his coaching staff.“I want the guy around our players,” Walton said. “He’s a professional. I think it’s more beneficial when he’s actually in practice and in the trenches with them. But he’s someone that helps the team being around.”