FBI investigating Nevis robbery of US Supreme Court justice

first_img Tweet 16 Views   no discussions US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Bryer. Photo credit: get-lawyers.comCHARLESTOWN, Nevis — The US Federal Bureau of Investigation has sent at least one agent to Nevis to investigate last week’s armed robbery of US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer at his vacation home on the island, a law enforcement official said on Tuesday.Breyer, 73, and his wife were robbed by an intruder who broke into their home last Thursday. The machete-wielding intruder took about $1,000 in cash and no one was hurt, a Supreme Court spokeswoman said.Meanwhile, Nevis premier Joseph Parry said in a local radio interview on Tuesday that he visited Breyer at his home last Friday, the day after the robbery took place. Parry also asked for help from witnesses with any information about the incident.By Caribbean News Now contributor Sharing is caring! NewsRegional FBI investigating Nevis robbery of US Supreme Court justice by: – February 15, 2012center_img Share Share Sharelast_img read more

DCEO’s lack of knowledge on elections matters

first_imgDear Editor,Here I am after this week’s statutory meeting of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) giving you my usual update. The meeting was held on Wednesday since Tuesday was a national holiday again.It seems as if my updates are really negatively affecting the Chairman, as he was moved to assert that those of us on “our side” of the table did not deserve any common courtesy from him, since every week one of “our” Commissioners “spills the very guts” of GECOM’s meetings in the press!! Even Commissioner Alexander was moved to point out that the Commissioner in question (me) had at least had the “common courtesy” to inform the meeting of her intention to issue statements to the press after every meeting!This outburst by the Chairman happened after Commissioner Sase Gunraj had accused the Chairman of not having the common courtesy of informing the meeting last Thursday that he had called a press conference for the next day, even during the long discussion about GECOM’s interaction with the press and the Chairman had heard suggestions that targeted press releases would better serve our purpose rather than a press conference where the message can get lost in answers to questions from reporters which detracted from the main reason for the interaction.The Chairman was in rare form, asserting his right to call any press conference without informing any Commissioner, at which Commissioner Robeson Benn was moved to point out that the Chairman then, could not claim to be speaking on behalf of the Commission, since he had not even informed, much less discussed with Commissioners the fact of the press engagement, never mind the reason for it. Good theatre it was today!The matter of the Mabaruma Local Government Elections results again came up. I told the meeting that I had been informed that two of GECOM’s officials, a Mr Allen and a Mr Clarke, had travelled to Mabaruma to investigate the issue of proxies about which we spoke last week, and that the two officers had spent much of their time interacting with the A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) activists and supporters in a private meeting at the Town Hall and that they were also transported by an APNU candidate to Aruka Mouth and Smith Creek. My point was that GECOM’s officials should have acted in a manner precluding any perception of bias, especially since the investigation was being done at the instance of complaints made by APNU.Later in the meeting, the DCEO in the absence of the CEO – who did not attend Wednesday’s meeting – reported orally about the investigation by Clarke and Allen, stating that it had found that procedures for the approval of proxies had been breached and that the only answer the Returning Officer (RO), who approves all proxy applications, could give is that he was trying to help. My own view on this was that the RO should then face sanctions, but to my consternation, the DCEO then asked that the Commission consider the question of whether the results of the Mabaruma elections should be published.This, to my mind, was such a preposterous question from the DCEO! The election had been held and the final results had been declared by the Returning Officer and now here is the DCEO suggesting that the results of an investigation should be used to change or amend before publication, the declared final results!I am amazed that the DCEO needed to be told by me, that when the RO declared the results he was functus officio and that results of an election can only be challenged in a court of law by way of an elections petition!I am now wondering if the DCEO genuinely did not know this, because she had no previous experience running any election, or if she was advancing a particular interest. Food for thought!Sincerely,Bibi Safora ShadickCommissioner –GECOMlast_img read more

Arsenal confirm deal for World Cup star

first_img David Ospina 1 Arsenal have completed the signing of Nice goalkeeper David Ospina, the club have confirmed.The departure of last season’s FA Cup hero, Lukasz Fabianski, to Swansea City, left a hole in manager Arsene Wenger’s squad and he has opted to pounce for the 25-year-old Ligue 1 star.Ospina, who joined Nice back in 2008 as a replacement for Hugo Lloris, played more than 200 times for the club, earning rave reviews.The Colombian was also impressive at World Cup in Brazil, keeping two clean sheets, as his nation reached the quarter-finals.And now he will move the Emirates on a long-term contract to continue his career between the sticks.Arsène Wenger told Arsenal’s official website: “David Ospina is an excellent goalkeeper, with good experience and a proven record of performing with Nice and Colombia. He will add strength to our squad and we are very pleased that he will be joining us.”You can find out more about the Colombian goalkeeper here.last_img read more

JUDGE PRAISES NIGHTCLUB STAFF AFTER THREE BROTHERS INVOLVED IN ATTACK ON DJ

first_imgA DJ at a popular nightclub says he has no doubt he would have been seriously hurt but for the swift actions of security staff after he was attacked by three brothers.The Doherty brothers appeared at Letterkenny Court.DJ Kevin Lennon was working at Voodoo Nightclub in Letterkenny when he opened a door to assist staff in ejecting a man from the club. However, a short time later he was attacked in a vicious manner which left him with a cut to the lip and other bruising.Three brothers, Liam, James and Peter Doherty of Drumnaskea, Letterkenny appeared at Letterkenny District Court yesterday in connection with the incident which took place on January 14th last.CCTV footage was viewed of the incident in court which showed Mr Lennon being punched by Peter Doherty before he fell to the ground and being surrounded by all three brothers.Peter Doherty, 21, was charged with assault while his two brothers Liam, 22 and James, 24, were charged with public order offences.Solicitor Patsy Gallagher said there was too much drink taken and it was Peter Doherty who admitted assaulting Mr Lennon.He said it was a case that they did not realise he was a member of staff and had thought that he had been another man who had earlier attacked Peter who was home for Australia for Christmas.Judge Paul Kelly asked Mr Lennon of Drumardagh, if he was recovered from his ordeal and if he would like to address the court.Mr Lennon said he would simply like to thank the security staff at Voodoo.“Who knows what might have happened if they had not acted so quickly. This could have been a hospitalization case,” he said.Judge Kelly said “As Mr Lennon said – if it was not for the reaction of the staff it could have been a lot worse. This was a very nasty incident for Mr Lennon when suddenly he finds himself on the ground with people with that level of intent around him.”He asked defense solicitor Mr Gallagher if the Doherty brothers had anything concrete to offer Mr Lennon by way of an apology.Mr Gallagher came back and said they could offer him a total of €500.Judge Kelly said refused the offer but said that if the men came up with a total of €1,500, he would adjourn the case until January 19th.“They’re all in this together as far as I can see,” added Judge Kelly.JUDGE PRAISES NIGHTCLUB STAFF AFTER THREE BROTHERS INVOLVED IN ATTACK ON DJ was last modified: October 21st, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DJ Kevin LennondonegalJudge Paul KellyletterkennyVOODOO NIGHTCLUBlast_img read more

Related Cheap flights to ski destinations to be la

first_img RelatedCheap flights to ski destinations to be launched from StanstedCheap flights to ski destinations to be launched from StanstedCarbon Trust Standard awarded to StanstedCarbon Trust Standard awarded to StanstedBAA records passenger increase at its airportsThe number of passengers travelling on cheap flights from BAA’s UK airports increased by 0.3 percent during July. Airlines operating Airbus A380 and Boeing 747-87 aircraft will now be allowed to land at Stansted Airport after the Civil Aviation Authority awarded it Code F status.The upgrading paves the way for growth in both airline activity and cargo operations, with Emirates having already named Stansted its alternative airport for its A380 aircraft.Emirates, together with Singapore Airlines, Lufthansa, Qantas and Air France, are the carriers currently using the A380, although other airlines have ordered them.Nick Barton, Stansted’s commercial and development director, said that being awarded Code F status will ensure that Stansted is “even more attractive to potential carriers.””It’s credit to the original designers of Stansted who showed astonishing vision in the 1980s to create an airport capable of handling the superjets of the future,” he commented.Mr Barton went on to say that he is confident that Stansted will become “the London airport of choice” in the coming years.Stansted is Britain’s third-busiest airport, accommodating some 22.8 million passengers every year.ReturnOne wayMulti-cityFromAdd nearby airports ToAdd nearby airportsDepart14/08/2019Return21/08/2019Cabin Class & Travellers1 adult, EconomyDirect flights onlySearch flights Maplast_img read more