Exclusive – Hodgson insists work-in-progress England ‘will be ready’ for Euro 2016

first_imgRoy Hodgson has told talkSPORT he is excited for England’s future and insists his team will be ready to compete at the 2016 European Championships.The Three Lions manager has come under fire for the side’s recent below-par performances after just scraping a 1-0 victory over Norway last week.The friendly had the lowest ever attendance for an England game at the new Wembley, with fans seemingly still unimpressed with the side’s form following a woeful World Cup.Despite going into the summer’s tournament in high spirits, the Three Lions endured a miserable campaign in Brazil – failing to register a win and finishing rock bottom of their group.But Hodgson still harbours high hopes for his work-in-progress squad, while he also defended their poor displays explaining you have to expect “hiccups” when you introduce new players into the set-up.“I’ve got no doubt in my mind that this current crop of England players is capable of doing well,” he told Keys and Gray: Inside Sport.“But they’re going to need these two years [in the build-up to Euro 2016].“They’ll be some heartache and pain along the way, you can’t introduce so many players at one stage without few hiccups.“But the fortune for us is that we have a group that can allow us a bit of room for experimentation and trail, so that when we go to France in 2016 these players will be ready.”Meanwhile, the former Liverpool manager says he has been encouraged by England’s currently thriving youth system that the first-team will enjoy future success.Much has been made in the past about the lack of youth stars delivering when they eventually reach the top level, however, Hodgson claims he has seen enough talent to suggest any future boss may have a selection headache on his hands.He added: “I’m very excited and that goes beyond the first team.“I watched the Under-20s demolish Romania [with a stunning 6-0 friendly win] this week and they were excellent, they really were.“As I was watching them I was thinking to myself that a lot of these players, who are only around 19 years old, can easily play in the Premier League.“There are so many unbelievably gifted young players coming through our academy systems.“They have all the things we’ve looked for in the past: pace, mobility, athleticism and technique. And really all they need is to improve their understanding of the game.“We all know that can’t happen overnight, so we work with them day after day on the training field at their clubs and hopefully here if they make the England squad. “last_img read more

European train crash kills dozens

first_img Other deadly train accidents in Europe in recent decades included the June 1998 derailment of a high-speed train traveling from Munich to Hamburg, which killed 96 people; and a crash in a dead-end tunnel at Moorgate Underground station in central London that killed 43 in February 1975. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! BIOCE, Serbia-Montenegro – A packed passenger train derailed Monday and plunged into a steep river canyon outside the Montenegrin capital, killing at least 39 people and injuring more than 135, most of them children. The four-car train derailed near the village of Bioce, about nine miles northeast of Podgorica, as it emerged from a tunnel above the Moraca River, police said. Interior Minister Jusuf Kalomperovic said initial reports indicated the train’s brakes may have failed. At least 200 passengers, many of them schoolchildren returning from a ski trip, were believed to be on the train in what was among the deadliest European train crashes of the past quarter-century. Victims cried out for help from the ravine, where four train cars lay smashed. Darkness in the densely forested area was hampering rescue efforts. Bodies were entangled in the mangled red train cars and scattered around the nearby patches of thick woodland. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card “The train simply went wild, out of control,” one passenger said as blood poured down his forehead. “I was fine because I was in a back compartment. Those in the front got the worst of it.” Deputy Prime Minister Miroslav Ivanisevic told reporters that the government’s casualty figures stood at 39 killed and 135 injured, but he warned that the numbers could rise as emergency crews continue to reach victims in the 300-foot ravine. He described the crash “as the worst rail accident in the history of Montenegro.” Montenegro’s transport minister, Andrija Lompar, resigned because of the accident, Ivanisevic said. A three-day mourning period was announced for the victims. The train was en route from the northeastern town of Bijelo Polje to the Montenegrin coastal city of Bar when it derailed near Podgorica. last_img read more