FIRE SERVICE WARNS ABOUT USE OF STOVES AFTER INCREASE IN HOUSE FIRES

first_imgThe Donegal Fire Service has issued an urgent appeal about the proper fitting of stoves in homes.Stoves should be checked regularly.It follows an increase in the number of housefires across the county, which the fire service believe are related to these stoves.A spokesman for the fire service said these fires can be avoided using some simple common sense. The spokesman said “Donegal Fire Service has noticed a rise in fires involving multi-fuel stoves in domestic dwellings. Some of these were serious and caused significant fire damage to the structure of the dwellings. This may be down to inappropriate installation or lack of maintenance.“In particular this is the case with respect to retro fitting of these heating appliances to existing homes where metal flues or similar are fitted to run through existing construction or are enclosed in timber stud and plasterboard construction.“A minimum separation distance must be maintained from the flue to any combustible construction, to prevent ignition through radiant heat.”The spokesman added that if you intend to have a stove installed, please ensure that you employ a competent person and that the appliance is installed in accordance with Technical Guidance Document Part J of the Building Regulations. These regulations also require that carbon monoxide detectors are provided in the room where the appliance is situated and in any room in which the flue passes through.If your stove is used every day, the flue or chimney may need to be cleaned more than once a year depending on the type of fuel burned.A competent person should be employed to ensure that this is done properly as a build up of soot particles is a common cause of chimney/flue fires. If you need further assistance you can call the Donegal Fire Service, High Road, Letterkenny, Co Donegal. Tel: (074) 91 21676 or e-mail: [email protected] SERVICE WARNS ABOUT USE OF STOVES AFTER INCREASE IN HOUSE FIRES was last modified: March 19th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:dangerdonegalDONEGAL FIRE SERVICEFIREShomeSTOVESWarninglast_img read more