Dear Editor,Here I am after this week’s statutory meeting of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) giving you my usual update. The meeting was held on Wednesday since Tuesday was a national holiday again.It seems as if my updates are really negatively affecting the Chairman, as he was moved to assert that those of us on “our side” of the table did not deserve any common courtesy from him, since every week one of “our” Commissioners “spills the very guts” of GECOM’s meetings in the press!! Even Commissioner Alexander was moved to point out that the Commissioner in question (me) had at least had the “common courtesy” to inform the meeting of her intention to issue statements to the press after every meeting!This outburst by the Chairman happened after Commissioner Sase Gunraj had accused the Chairman of not having the common courtesy of informing the meeting last Thursday that he had called a press conference for the next day, even during the long discussion about GECOM’s interaction with the press and the Chairman had heard suggestions that targeted press releases would better serve our purpose rather than a press conference where the message can get lost in answers to questions from reporters which detracted from the main reason for the interaction.The Chairman was in rare form, asserting his right to call any press conference without informing any Commissioner, at which Commissioner Robeson Benn was moved to point out that the Chairman then, could not claim to be speaking on behalf of the Commission, since he had not even informed, much less discussed with Commissioners the fact of the press engagement, never mind the reason for it. Good theatre it was today!The matter of the Mabaruma Local Government Elections results again came up. I told the meeting that I had been informed that two of GECOM’s officials, a Mr Allen and a Mr Clarke, had travelled to Mabaruma to investigate the issue of proxies about which we spoke last week, and that the two officers had spent much of their time interacting with the A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) activists and supporters in a private meeting at the Town Hall and that they were also transported by an APNU candidate to Aruka Mouth and Smith Creek. My point was that GECOM’s officials should have acted in a manner precluding any perception of bias, especially since the investigation was being done at the instance of complaints made by APNU.Later in the meeting, the DCEO in the absence of the CEO – who did not attend Wednesday’s meeting – reported orally about the investigation by Clarke and Allen, stating that it had found that procedures for the approval of proxies had been breached and that the only answer the Returning Officer (RO), who approves all proxy applications, could give is that he was trying to help. My own view on this was that the RO should then face sanctions, but to my consternation, the DCEO then asked that the Commission consider the question of whether the results of the Mabaruma elections should be published.This, to my mind, was such a preposterous question from the DCEO! The election had been held and the final results had been declared by the Returning Officer and now here is the DCEO suggesting that the results of an investigation should be used to change or amend before publication, the declared final results!I am amazed that the DCEO needed to be told by me, that when the RO declared the results he was functus officio and that results of an election can only be challenged in a court of law by way of an elections petition!I am now wondering if the DCEO genuinely did not know this, because she had no previous experience running any election, or if she was advancing a particular interest. Food for thought!Sincerely,Bibi Safora ShadickCommissioner –GECOM
UPDATE – Power has been restored to most of the areas in Charlie Lake that were affected Saturday afternoon. There is still one outage affecting 280 customers in the Graham River area. Hydro hopes to have power back on in that area by 7:30pm tonight.- Advertisement – About 900 customer are currently without power in the Charlie Lake area.The outage started shortly after 12pm and should be restored by 4:30pm. The cause of the outage is still under investigation. Update – Power has been restored in the following area. There is another outage East of 269 RD, West of 265 RD, South of 85 AVE, North of OLD FORT RD, which should be on by 4:30.
College of the Canyons and the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services will present “the Heart Gallery, Los Angeles” beginning April 17. The exhibition features photographs of children in the Los Angeles County foster care system who are in need of permanent adoptive families. The exhibition’s purpose is to help raise awareness of the need to find permanent, loving homes for more than 700 children in Los Angeles County. The exhibition will run from April 17 through May 1. A reception is planned in the gallery from 6-8 p.m. on April 17. The public is welcome to view the photographic portraits of the children and enjoy refreshments. Social workers from the Department of Children and Family Services will be available to answer questions about adoptions. Most of the children are school age, of African-American or Latino heritage, may have special needs, and may be part of a sibling group. The Heart Gallery Los Angeles is one of more than 40 Heart Galleries that have been developed throughout the United States to help find permanent adoptive families for waiting children. Admission to the College of the Canyons art gallery is free. A $1 parking permit can be obtained from the South Lot or Lot 6. This permit allows attendees to park in any regular space in the student lots. Art gallery and store hours are: 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesdays through Thursdays and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. The gallery is closed Fridays, Sundays and all college holidays. Additional information regarding this and future exhibitions can be obtained by calling (661) 362-3612. To post your own stories and photos, log on to valleynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
WHITTIER – The City Council wants T-Mobile to continue looking for another site for a proposed cell tower, instead of across the street from East Whittier Middle School. The Council voted 4-1 Tuesday to give the company until Oct. 23 to see if it can reach an agreement with the owner of the Whittier Medical Plaza, 14350 Whittier Blvd. The vote came after a July 24 meeting when the City Council asked T-Mobile to find another site. T-Mobile now wants to install the antenna at the Second Church of Christ Scientist, Whittier, 8723 Catalina Ave. “I just don’t feel I’m ready to give up on the applicant giving a final shot with Whittier Medical Plaza,” Councilwoman Cathy Warner said. So far, the owner of the medical building has refused to sign a lease with T-Mobile. Luke Lucas, regional development manager for T-Mobile, said Wednesday his company will try again. Lucas said he doesn’t know why the owner of the building won’t allow the installation of the tower. Nearby residents and school officials have opposed the cell tower because of health and aesthetics concerns. “They are unsightly and there are unknown dangers you don’t know about,” said Whittier resident Grace Nakamura. “It’s a new technology.” But the council isn’t allowed to consider questions of health, said City Attorney Dick Jones. Councilman Bob Henderson, the lone dissenter, said the city should approve the tower at the church. “While I understand and am sympathetic to all of the neighbors, scientific panels have looked at (the issue) over the decades and they feel there is absolutely no risk,” Henderson said. Councilman Greg Nordbak said he was ready not to give T-Mobile a variance for the tower. The tower would be 60-feet-high in a residential area, but the city has a height restriction of only 35 feet. “They haven’t demonstrated reasons for the variance,” Nordbak said. “What they’re asking is for us to increase coverage so they can market themselves competitively. I don’t see that as my problem.” Henderson said the city already has granted four other variances to towers in residential zones. But those were in parks or greenways, Councilman Joe Vinatieri countered. “This property is unique to that determination,” Vinatieri said. “I’m concerned whether (the church) is the least intrusive site (for a cell tower),” he said. “If we could get something reasonable for the landlord to sign, I think we should work on that.” firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Memphis Depay has shown Old Trafford why he was worth the money paid for him in the first half of Manchester United’s return to the Champions League against Club Brugge.He lit up the first half with two delightful goals, one full of skill and pace, the other full of pure power.And United fans are already getting carried away with their new no.7.See below for the best reactions to the Dutchman’s first half performance … Memphis Depay 1
Donegal Pens brothers Ronan and Conor Mc Garvey celebrating 1,000,000 page views on their website www.donegalpens.comDonegal Pens schoolboys Ronan and Conor Mc Garvey of Loughanure are celebrating their first million this week but canít cash it in just yet!Their website www.donegalpens.com has just recorded in excess of one million page views in just under one year. Statistics from January 1st this year to last Friday, December 13th show that the boys have had in excess of 1,060,000 page views on their site.Ronan, 16, and Conor, 13, have been enjoying a great following since their appearance on Dragonís Den in May of this year where they emerged from the Den with a total of €4,000, the most from the twenty juniors who participated. Donegal businesswoman and the only female dragon, Ramona Nicholas of the Cara Pharmacy group awarded them a €2,000 bursary, while Derry businessman Peter Casey placed a €2,000 order with them on the show.Despite no assistance from state agencies, the boys have gone from strength to strength to build themselves a successful business run from a workshop in their back garden.Their enquiry about funding from the Donegal Enterprise Board was declined because they were told they are “too young”.In January 2012 the boys received a gift of a new workshop and equipment from the Expert Harwdare chain of stores to the tune of €4,500 when the company heard that state agencies failed to support their enterprise. This week the boys were over the moon when their website designer John Michael Sweeney told them they had exceeded one million page views.Neighbour John Michael keeps the technical side of their site in order and ensures the visitors from all over the world can get their hands on the Donegal made pens.Speaking at the weekend the boys said they are over the moon to hear that their site has clocked up over one million page views.“We hadnít been keeping an eye on that side of things and when John Michael told us we had clocked over a million page views we thought he was joking. The site has been busy particularly since Dragons Den and in the lead up to Christmas but we never thought it was that busy,” said Conor.Ronan said when he heard rumours of the first million he was hoping it was time to go and meet the bank manager. “Unfortunately we can’t cash the ‘hits’ in for Euros but we are just delighted that the site is proving so popular. Looking over the statistics now nearly half a million was clocked up in and around the Dragons Den appearance time. We had 427,000 page views in May alone so that is surely a reason for any young budding entrepreneurs to apply for Junior Dragons Den. It’s advertising that you couldnít pay for even if your pitch is not successful,” he said.The boys are currently “flat out” dealing with Christmas orders and shipping pens worldwide. Orders for delivery within Ireland for the Christmas season are recommended to be with them by December 18th at the latest as delivery can’t be guaranteed after that.“We will continue to ship until Monday 23rd but canít give any guarantees at that stage. Then itís shut down for the Christmas holidays and time to put the feet up and see what weíll do with that million,’ joked Conor.In the new year the boys are planning on expanding the business by investing in a system that will allow them to laser engrave names and logos on the wooden part of the pens. At present they are outsourcing this work to another Irish company. “It’s an expensive piece of equipment but we are hoping to travel to the UK in January to check it out as we are getting a lot of corporate enquiries about logo engraving on the pens,’ said Ronan.Donegal Pens are available on their website www.donegalpens.com and at various retail outlets throughout Donegal and Ireland.DONEGAL PEN BOYS MAKE THEIR FIRST MILLION! was last modified: December 16th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:DONEGAL PENS
Marathon runner Shane McCarville hopes to set a new Irish record at this weekend’s Quadrathon Marathon in Inishowen.Shane hopes to complete his 48th marathon so far this year in Donegal which will officially set the record. Overall he hopes to run 70 marathons and ultra-marathons this year.Here he gives a few tips on anyone thinking of doing a marathon.SIMPLY CLICK ON THE VIDEO TO PLAY. DDTV – SHANE TO SET IRISH MARATHON RECORD IN DONEGAL was last modified: August 17th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:InishowenMarathonsQuadrathonrecordShane McCarville
Cisse anticipates a tough game against the Cranes on Friday.The Uganda Cranes have won over neutrals at the on-going 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, with their fearless brand of football.The side now looks nothing like the one which played conservatively on their way to a group stage elimination in Gabon 2017.Despite the core of that very team that finished bottom of their group, still starting, they managed to reach the last 16 after winning one and drawing the other of their three games.As a reward for their showings so far, they were handed a task of trying to shock the football world and eliminate Senegal from the competition when the two sides face off on Friday.As tough as it may seem, the fearless Cranes will most definitely try and give a good account of themselves, something that is a concern to Senegal head coach Aliou Cisse.“No one should take the Ugandan team for granted and I will tell my players that because facing them is not an easy task, Cisse noted.“We need to make sure we prepare well to face Uganda because they have showed since the tournament started that they are here on a serious mission.“Now its direct elimination, it will be hard, the Ugandan team are the team who have lost the least in the last few years.”True to Cisse’s word, the senior Cranes side has lost only three competitive games since February 2017.In that period, the Cranes lost 0-1 to Egypt in a World Cup qualifier, went down 0-3 in an AFCON qualifier against Tanzania and once again lost 0-2 to Egypt last Sunday.Uganda and Senegal have faced off three times since 2012. Their most recent encounter came in a friendly two years ago, one that Cisse still remembers.The last time the two nations faced off saw a 0-0 result.“We played a friendly against them before the world cup and drew 0-0. Continued the former Lions of Teranga captain.“Everyone said that they were a little team that we should have beaten but I was quick to object as I told them that they were a team who are progressing.”Senegal are one of the pre-tournament favourites to win the 2019 AFCON but have struggled to some point.As they progressed through their group, they lost miserably to Algeria in a game that they failed to get started.However, their other two games resulted in two wins, both coming against Uganda’s East African neighbours. Senegal defeated Tanzania 2-0 and then Kenya 3-0 to finish second in Group C.The game against Uganda will be played at the Cairo International Airport on Friday night.Comments Tags: AFCON 2019Aliuo CisseEgyptGroup AGroup CtopUganda Cranes
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
Kolkata, Jun 5 (PTI) 104-year-old bodybuilder Manohar Aich, who was once a household name in Bengal after becoming Indias first Mr Universe in 1952, died at his Baguiati residence this afternoon, according to family sources. “Aich was on a liquid died for last 10-15 days and had stopped talking. He breathed his last at 3.50pm,” his son Khokan Aich told PTI. Aich is survived by two daughters and two sons, one of whom manages a gym and fitness centre to fulfill his fathers dream of making the youth “healthy and strong”. “Never quit exercise, he would always say. His mantra to stay healthy was simple ? healthy eating and exercise,” Khokan added. Former Bengal cricket captain Laxmi Ratan Shukla, who is Minister of State for Sports, visited Aichs residence to offer his condolence. Aich, who turned 104 on March 17, had become Indias first Mr Universe when he won the 1952 National Amateur Body-Builders Association Universe Championships. Born in the district of Comilla (now in Bangladesh), Aich, at just four feet and 11 inches, was not the tallest of men. But encouraged by English officer Reub Martin, Aich took up bodybuilding and made this his passion during his stint at the Royal Air Force under British colonial rulers. He also went on to serve jail term when some years later he protested against colonial oppression, something which Aich considered as “turning point” in his life. MORE PTI TAP SSC SSC