Listen back to the highlights of Tuesday’s Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast. Danny Kelly, in for Alan Brazil, and Brian Moore were joined on today’s show by Andy Gray and Thomas Hitzlsperger.
Saido Berahino Tony Pulis believes West Brom’s fans have forgiven ‘naughty child’ Saido Berahino for wanting to leave.The boss insisted any rift between the striker and supporters has been healed following his return to the side.Berahino threatened to never play for the club again following two rejected deadline-day bids from Tottenham, while he also had a transfer request blocked in the summer.He scored the winner on his return to the starting line-up for the first time since asking to leave in Saturday’s 1-0 win at Aston Villa.The 22-year-old was rested in Wednesday’s 3-0 Capital One Cup defeat at Norwich but is expected to start at The Hawthorns against Everton on Monday and Pulis insisted he has been welcomed back.“They’ve been very good and very supportive and the great thing for me is the Saido situation,” he said.“I think Saido was concerned there might be a little turning of the tide but they were absolutely wonderful when he came on against Southampton and last Saturday against Villa.“They truly are in love with their football club and they want their football club to do well and Saido is a big part of that now.“They have embraced him and brought him back into the fold – that naughty child!“It’s good because it takes the pressure off him. It’s the biggest thing for the lads to take the pressure off.“The reaction of the supporters and players shows there’s good unity in the group. What we need to do now is for him to concentrate on playing football which is what he’s good at.”Pulis made 10 changes for the defeat at Carrow Road as he rested Gareth McAuley, Chris Brunt and Salomon Rondon after admitting they needed a break ahead of Everton’s visit. “Those players have had the opportunity to have an extra day off. On Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning we’ll really prepare,” he added. 1
Lifelong Liverpool fan Micky Quinn decided to pen a song, with the help of Drivetime presenter Adrian Durham, to mark Jurgen Klopp’s appointment as the club’s new manager – and the results were spectacular. Well, according to Micky anyway! Have a listen and let us know your thoughts…
2 Newcastle United have completed the signing of Andros Townsend from Tottenham for £12million.The 24-year-old England international completed his medical with the Magpies on Wednesday and has penned a five-year contract at St James’ Park.It is reported his new deal is worth a reported £55,000-a-week – over three times more than his wage at Spurs.Townsend’s move brings an end to a 16-year career at the north London club, who he joined at the age of eight, though his departure has long been expected.The winger has cut a frustrated figure at White Hart Lane this season having fallen out-of-favour under manager Mauricio Pochettino, while he was exiled from the first-team earlier this term following a clash with one of the Argentine’s coaching staff.Having not played since October, Pochettino admitted earlier this month that Townsend was likely to leave, and after travelling up north for his medical this week he has finally sealed the deal.Townsend said: “I’m delighted to be here. Newcastle United is a fantastic club with great fans, a great stadium and great tradition.“As soon as I heard Newcastle were interested in me, there was only one place I wanted to go so I can’t wait to get started.”Townsend’s arrival represents another boost for under-pressure McClaren, who has been desperate to add proven Premier League quality to his squad to assist in the fight for top-flight survival.The winger joins former Swansea midfielder Jonjo Shelvey in arriving at St James’ Park this month and now faces the task of reviving his career on Tyneside, no doubt with one eye on the Euro 2016 finals.McClaren said: “Bringing Andros to the club is a great signing. He is a very good talent who is a current England international and should be one for years to come, too.“Andros is a winger with an old-fashioned style. He can play on the right or the left, is two-footed, quick, very direct and loves taking on defenders and crossing the ball.“He feels he has a lot to prove and I can’t wait to see him do that in a Newcastle shirt.”Newcastle currently sit inside the bottom three, two points from safety with just 15 games to play and facing a battle to preserve their top-flight status.Townsend appeared to say goodbye to Tottenham with this post on Twitter on Tuesday Andros Townsend 2
Former Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd believes there is absolutely ‘no chance’ of the Magpies being relegated this season, despite their current position in the Premier League’s bottom three.Steve McClaren has endured a disappointing start to his reign at St James’ Park, with the side three points adrift of safety having won just five league games since his appointment in the summer.But the team have improved in recent weeks, and current Newcastle chief Mike Ashley backed the boss in the January transfer window as the club became the highest-spenders in the top flight.Jonjo Shelvey and Andros Townsend arrived in £12million deals earlier in the window, while £4.5m was spent on midfielder Henri Saivet and Roma striker Seydou Doumbia also joined the club on loan on deadline day.And Shepherd is confident a fresher, more settled squad under McClaren have what it takes to avoid the drop.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the ex-Toon chief said: “There’s no chance of Newcastle going down, and I’m not just saying that because I’m a former chairman.“I’d put my house on it, Newcastle will NOT go down.“They’ve done the right thing at the right time. They’ve splashed out and got some good players in.“I honestly believe Newcastle will now start to climb up the table.“This isn’t bias, and you might just think I’m sticking up for the north east here, but I think Sam Allardyce will keep Sunderland up as well.“I think the teams above them at the bottom of the table are weaker so I think they will definitely escape.”
By Allison Hoffman THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SAN DIEGO – Jeanne Plante didn’t pay much attention this summer as city engineers worked to figure out why the busy road up the hill from her house was ominously cracking. Then the ground below the road suddenly collapsed last week, taking four houses with it and burying two others. Now, she and her neighbors want to know why it took so long for the city to recognize that a major landslide risk was imminent. The area where the collapse occurred, Mount Soledad, is an upper-middle-class residential neighborhood that boasts views of mountains to the east and a short commute to the surf spots and tony restaurants of downtown La Jolla. Residents who live near the slide zone criticized the city for not warning that a slide was possible after concerns about water main leaks, sinking curbside meters and creeping gaps in the sidewalk first cropped up in July. “We are helpless,” said Joseph Tsai, a retired engineer who moved to Mount Soledad 12 years ago. “It depends on the city to address the problems.” City officials have said they were considering new vehicle weight limits and other stopgap measures early in the week but didn’t realize a collapse was imminent until shortly before it happened. Residents of the four houses directly atop the collapse were advised late Tuesday not to sleep in their houses; homeowners whose properties were buried said they had no notice. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas City“If it happened to them, what’s to stop it from happening to us?” she said shortly after she was allowed to return to the $1.7 million gray-stone property, which sits about a hundred feet downslope from the toe of Wednesday’s landslide. City geologists say the collapse has apparently stabilized now that the stress has been relieved on the weak earth, which caved beneath a 50-yard stretch of road. But answers explaining why the collapse happened are harder to find. Four houses sank into the 20-foot-deep fissure, while tons of dirt carrying fully grown pines and eucalyptus shoved a wall of road asphalt and broken curb into two houses on the street below. Seven houses were so severely damaged that residents can’t even get inside, and 22 more are off-limits except with safety escorts. City officials estimate the damage could be $48 million – $26 million for broken sewer and water mains, and $22 million for private property losses.
GRANADA HILLS – Police were searching Saturday for a suspected gang member who gunned down a 25-year-old Sun Valley man outside a party, police said. Santos Castillo was shot late Friday on a sidewalk in the 17800 block of Arvida Street, Los Angeles police Officer April Harding said. He died at a nearby hospital. Castillo, who was not a known gang member, had attended a house party when a gang member walked up to him about 11:40 p.m. and started arguing, she said. The dispute spilled into the street, where during the argument the suspect pulled out a pistol and shot Castillo in the chest and leg. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Detectives have not determined the nature of the argument and have no description of the killer. Police ask those with information to call Devonshire Division homicide detectives at (818) 832-0537, or (877) LAW-FULL. – Daily News
LONDON – Lawyers for the widow of former Russian intelligence agent Alexander Litvinenko said they filed papers with the European Court of Human Rights Thursday, alleging Russia’s complicity in his poisoning. Louise Christian told The Associated Press the papers had been lodged with the Strasbourg-based court, which also accuse Russia of failing to investigate the crime. However, Christian declined to provide any further details of the allegations before a press conference today to mark the anniversary of the former security agent’s death. Litvinenko died in a London hospital on Nov. 23, 2006 after ingesting radioactive Isotope Polonium-210. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsIf judges agree with the complaint against Moscow, the worst sanction Russia could face is expulsion from the 47-member Council of Europe – a pan-European human rights bloc to which it is a signatory. No member has been expelled after losing a human rights case in Strasbourg since the organization was founded in 1949. Anglo-Russian relations returned to a near Cold War low when Russia refused a British extradition request for Moscow-based millionaire Andrei Lugovoi on murder charges. British officials are continuing diplomatic negotiations with Russia over Lugovoi’s extradition and say they are determined to bring a conviction over a “singularly chilling crime committed against a British citizen that placed thousands of others in danger of radiation contamination.” Lugovoi denies responsibility and has continued his outspoken defense in Moscow. In an interview with The AP on Wednesday he repeated claims that Litvinenko worked for Britain’s foreign intelligence agency MI6 and tried to recruit him as an informant. Britain denies these claims. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
A LORRY was loaded up today at the Oatfield’s sweet factory in Letterkenny with the final pieces of equipment for use at the Zed Candy operation in England.A huge crane lifted tonnes of equipment onto the lorry earlier today.It is being taken by ferry to England tonight and will be installed at the Kettering plant where Oatfield’s famous brand sweets will now be produced. Zed Candy are firing their last remaining workers – 15 of them – next week. They will get just two weeks wages for every year worked.It brings to an end 85 years of sweet manufacturing in Letterkenny.All the famous brands developed by the McKinney family over several generations will now be made in England.Others will be made in China. “It’s a very sad sight,” said one factory worker today, “it hasn’t sunk in yet that it’s closing but watching more equipment being taken today and it is becoming very real.”Earlier this week Zed Candy announced the creation of new jobs in Kettering.The site of the Donegal factory, owned by Donegal Creameries, is being sold to turn it into a supermarket.Once that happens, the only evidence of almost a century of history in the town will be the nearby Oatfield roundabout. OATFIELD’S: LORRY LOADS UP EQUIPMENT FOR JOURNEY TO ENGLAND was last modified: May 11th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegaldaily.comletterkennyOATFIELD’S: LORRY LOADS UP EQUIPMENT FOR JOURNEY TO ENGLAND
1 Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal does not believe Manchester City’s Champions League exit will have any bearing on the battle to finish in the top four.City’s European dream died meekly in the second leg of their semi-final against Real Madrid, going down 1-0 at the Bernabeu with little attacking threat.And while that might have an impact on their morale, it also leaves City with clear objectives between now and the end of the campaign. A priority will be to maintain the gap that keeps them in the Barclays Premier League’s Champions League spots and ahead of their neighbours.That stands at four points going into the weekend, with United having three games left to City’s two.“The situation has not been changed by the defeat of Manchester City. It is the same situation,” said Van Gaal.The Dutchman is right to suggest the mathematics of the equation did not shift in Madrid, though there is a psychological aspect to City’s defeat that is harder to quantify.It remains to be seen how much effect defeat in Spain will have on a squad who had prioritised Europe, while manager Manuel Pellegrini’s interest in the club’s fortunes is now on a short clock, as he prepares to leave at the end of the season.But Van Gaal knows from recent experience that defeat in one competition need not cast a shadow over another.When United were ousted from the Europa League by Liverpool in March, they rallied with a 1-0 away success over their city rivals just three days later.Asked if he expected Pellegrini’s side to experience any sort of hangover, Van Gaal said: “It’s dependable on the team and the way you recover in your head also.“We have done that several times after a big defeat. That’s why I said I’m proud of my players at the (end-of-season) gala, they have the spirit to show that after a big defeat.”For their part, United must simply look to take three points at Norwich on Saturday and at West Ham in their last match at Upton Park to ramp up the pressure heading into the final weekend.And given they have lost seven of their 17 league games on the road, that will be no simple task.“Now we have to win three games in a row, (with two) away games,” said Van Gaal.“We don’t win too many away games. When we want to be champions we have to improve in the away matches, and win first away against Norwich and then West Ham United.” Manchester United are four points adrift but have a game in hand